viz straight represetative democracy - be careful what you wish for.  If
Saudi Arabia had a pure representational system they'd wind up with a
far more radical Wahab state.  Look at California's referendum system -
it's out of control.  It's created an ungovernable state.  Looks at
Arizona's "you pay no school taxes if you're over a certain age"
measure.  Great - I got my free education the hell with you.  Just keep
paying my social security.

Presumably we elect leaders to make decision in the best interest of the
governed.  I don't know that the founders ever expected the voters to be
so apathetic and so easily fooled.

And no, I don't think ANY of my neighbors would give up ANYTHING so that
others might have a bit more.  In fact, I'm amazed at the lengths they
will go to to try to make me comply with their notion of what's proper.
No woodstoves
No older cars (yes, it looks fine, it's just an '89)
Quotes:  "That garden really looks out of place - you're not going to do
that every year, are you?"  Yes, I am.
"I wish you'd get rid of that woodpile, and it's noisy when you split
wood." Awww
the list goes on...