Bob.

Date: Saturday, 29 October 2005 7:20 pm

THE EPIC CRIME THAT DARES NOT SPEAK ITS NAME: John Pilger

A Royal Air Force officer is about to be tried before a military court for refusing to
return to Iraq because the war is illegal. Malcolm Kendall-Smith is the first British
officer to face criminal charges for challenging the legality of the invasion and
occupation. He is not a conscientious objector; he has completed two tours in Iraq.
When he came home the last time, he studied the reasons given for attacking Iraq
and concluded he was breaking the law. His position is supported by international
lawyers all over the world, not least by Kofi Annan, the UN secretary general, who
said in September last year: "The US-led invasion of Iraq was an illegal act that
contravened the UN Charter."