Michael,

Well done.

I would only add that if one looks at any wave form as a series of sines and cosines (as Fourier did), an explanation as to why equipment malfunctions under a modified sine signal becomes clear.

Many forms of modified sine waves come from a kind of square wave (as in your example) which is made from the sum of many sine and cosine functions (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierSeriesSquareWave.html). Only one sine function, usually coming from the fundamental frequency is the one for which your device is designed. The rest can effect transformer and electric motor performance (for example).

Mike

Michael Nehring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"What do you mean by modified sine wave?"
Normal AC electricity flows basically in both directions and the change
from one peak to another is smooth and has the shape of a sine wave.
Modified sine wave inverters don't follow this pattern exactly. They may
hold full power in one direction for 1/4 cycle, no power for the next
1/4, full power in the other direction for another 1/4, and then no
power for the last 1/4 (basically approximating a sinewave with lines).
Here's a graphic to that effect:
http://www.netcentral.co.uk/satcure/images/modified_sine_wave2.gif

And from what I have read, some equipment is sensative to such things
and can be damaged by modified sine waves, since they were designed to
work with true sine waves.

If I'm wrong, please someone correct me, but that's the impression that
I get.

-Michael