Keith  wrote:

"Prohibition in the US wasn't exactly a resounding success, it just
drove it underground and boosted organised crime. I've read that the
consumption of alcohol went up, by as much as 80% some have said. The
attraction of the illicit."

Some interesting related info:
In researching the history of alcohol fuel I learned the prohibition movement
was primarily funded by JD Rockefeller. At the time alcohol was the dominant
fuel in the US and he had found out that the byproduct of petroleum they had
been pouring into rivers could be made into gasoline and used for vehicle
fuels. He funded the Women's Christian Temperance Union to help make
drinking alcohol illegal. They took their hatchets into bars and broke bottles
and kegs and caused a big ruckus that led to the Constitutional amendment
outlawing drinking alcohol. He also funded enough Congressional campaigns
to get supporting legislation to shift the balance from alcohol fuel toward
gasoline. By the time the new amendment overruled prohibition, Standard Oil
had consolidated its market.

During Jimmy Carter's presidency there was a big push for homegrown
alcohol. We easily got a permit and made it in our barn with our home-built
equipment. Carter sent people to see how we little guys were doing. His man
liked our operation so much he hired Jock to take his still to the government
sponsored alternate energy fairs and teach farmers how to make their own
stills and fuel. One man came up to him after he said why alcohol was so
much better than oil and told him, “If you keep talking like that you won't be
around very long.” Someone told Jock he was from Shell Oil. Maybe he was
also talking about Carter, who was the biggest alternate energy president we
ever had. He lasted only one term, partially due to a major oil country, Iran,
who took American hostages and brokered a deal to release them only after
Reagan was elected. Another victory for big oil.

Marilyn