Howdy Mike,

Mike Weaver wrote:
> I've done some initial research but haven't delved into one.  Sooner or
> later I'll find an oil furnace someone is throwing away and see what I
> can do.
> If I had to cut the BD with another agent to make it easier to use I
> would do that.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Gasoline?
> I have 55 gallons of 99% Isopropyl alcohol - is that suitable?

The vapor pressure of a mixture of liquids is the weighted average, by
mole fraction, of the vapor pressures of the contributing liquids.  (the
vapor pressure is the tendency of a liquid to turn in to a gas- the
boiling point of a liquid is defined as the point when the vapor
pressure of a liquid equals atmospheric pressure) Hence one would want
to mix the most volatile, flammable liquid you can that is miscible with
the biodiesel.

If I were doing it I would start my mixing small amounts of white gas or
gasoline with the biodiesel until I got the minimum proportion which
supported combustion under the desired conditions.

  Isopropyl alcohol would work, but I think it has a higher vapor
pressure and lower heat of combustion than gasoline so it would take a
higher proportion to achieve the same effect.

> -Mike
>
> Zeke Yewdall wrote:
>
>> What about the type of burners that are designed to use a liquid fuel
>> directly rather than volatilize a liquid fuel?   Like fuel oil
>> furnaces, and waste engine oil burners.  All of these I have seen are
>> in the 100,000 Btu/hr range though -- if you could find one more like
>> 10 or 20 kBtu, it might work well for heating the reactor.
>>
>> http://www.espar.com/ something like this may be able to be modified.
>> Not cheap though.
>>

>> On 12/6/06, Joe Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>> Uh.......outdoors?? I dunno but it was warm in my basement..... :-[

>>> Mike Weaver wrote:
>>>
>>> What was the temperature outside? I tried that with a torch and got a
>>> few sputters but no flame.
>>> Is kerosene the most logical agent to cut the BD with?
>>>
>>> Joe Street wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Mike
>>>
>>> For what it's worth I tried running my multifuel backpacking stove on
>>> BD. I had to warm the preheater / vaporizer tube with a propane torch
>>> to get it hot enough to vaporize the BD. Once lit though it had a
>>> beautiful and stable blue flame and judging by boil time comparisons
>>> roughly the same heat as kerosene. Esters have a high flash point and
>>> need a lot of heat to use in a stove that is designed to supply vapor
>>> to the jet.
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>>> Mike Weaver wrote:
>>>

>>> So far all attempts to light it have failed. It's 30 degrees here and
>>> that may have something to do with it. I cut the BD w/ a good shot of
>>> Dino diesel and still no go. I got the preheater going but no flame on
>>> the ring. I brought it inside overnight to warm up and will try it
>>> again. If it doesn't go I'll mix in some kerosene. The booklet says
>>> you have to preheat for 3 1/2 mins sometimes to get BD lit. It came
>>> smelling of kerosene to I expect the factory lit it and tested it. FWIW
>>> the pressure gauge is bad but it does hold pressure.
>>>
>>> I had hoped to use it to heat oil so the the bd process was all fueled
>>> by BD.
>>>
>>> I also looked at some of the camping stoves but they are very expensive
>>> and designed to be as light weight as possible. The guy at the camping
>>> store said the thinner distillates works best.
>>>
>>> We'll see,
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> Ken Dunn wrote:
>>>

>>> Please, let us know how it does, Mike.
>>>
>>> Take care,
>>>

>>> On 12/5/05, Mike Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Just got a Britelyt today. Haven't been able to get it to light on BD
>>> but I think it may be due to the fuel being too cold. Will report back
>>> if I get it going.
>>>

>>> Ken Dunn wrote:
>>>

>>> What is everyone using as a heat source for preheating? I'm thinking
>>> about buying the BriteLyt mentioned on JtF. I could use it for other
>>> purposes as well which would be nice. Anyone test it? Care to
> [...]

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman