Good points there Todd;

I would like to add though that it is really informative to those of us
on the list with less experience when we read posts such as these and
though information may be somewhat anecdotal or even if somewhat
scientific if it is less than rigorous it may still be of use if it is
taken as such.  If we do have time we should investigate these
questions.  For instance recently I posted a question similar to this
asking the membership for a feeling on how much water content can be
lived with in oil at the starting point.  I know I had at least one cc
of water in my last batch of 25 liters which equals at least 40 ppm
water content.  The batch still washed very easily and passes the water
and methanol tests.  I have not reprocessed it but I will have NMR
results for it in time.  It would be good to know just where the limits
are with this.  Also how much glycerine will poison the wash.  I'm sure
some people have a better feel for this than others even if it may not
be completely scientific.
There have been a few brave souls on here who have talked about their
failures but not many since I've been here (about a year now I guess).
Human nature I guess but if anyone does have some experience that sheds
light on some of these questions please share.
Personally I am trying to find out how much I can shorten settling times
also.  I think time can be saved especially in the early washes by
reducing settling times for one example but I only learn a little bit
with each batch and there are a lot of things I want to investigate.
Does it make sense for us to organize some type of 'controlled' testing
amongst a group of us who have a stable reliable process? I can only
change one variable at a time but if I can get 10 people to do the same,
with different variables or differing amounts of the same variable it
will reduce the learning curve considerably. Is anyone else interested
or willing to put effort into the idea?

Joe

Snip