>From reading some patents I have the impression that the descriptions are
designed to distinguish the invention from others, and that in practice
the U.S. Patent Office doesn't place any significant weight on ensuring
that a reasonably intelligent reader can understand how the invention is
supposed to work.

To my mind this is wrong. The justification for patents is that the
invention is placed in the public domain, available for others to make
and use, after the protected period has elapsed. Mind you, in order for
that argument to be completely effective, patent law and the courts would
have to offer more protection than they do against big corporate pirates
who use an invention and count on their large legal budgets to bankrupt
any small competitor who tries to protect his patent. The big car
companies are notorious for this.

I understand that before World War II, U.S. patent law and practice was
deliberately designed to make it difficult for foreigners to acquire,
hold or enforce U.S. patents; i.e. to encourage international patent
piracy by Americans.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada