Well so long as some people look at biofuels with the mindset of making
money and perhaps a lot of money then that prospect is where we are
inevitably headed. Obviously some land is needed for growing oil seed
crops but the point is that a paradigm shift is in order for this
world.  Less is more. The idea that we can continue  with unimpeded
growth is underlying many of the problems we are facing and which will
not go away but rather will get worse.  Continuing to cling to this
philosophy will lead to collapse one day on many fronts.  We all know
this but why do some people even people on this forum seem to think
biodiesel is an opportunity to get rich?  This attitude is adding fuel
to this particular fire.(no pun)  Markets are created by demands and
controlled by supplies.  One way to reduce the severity of this problem
is to give it all away.  The ability for the average person to easily
make a modest supply of fuel from locally obtainable resources goes a
long way toward killing the demand and that will be the only thing that
will avoid the eventuality of corporate control of biodiesel.  However
even if we are successful at putting this capability into the hands of
everyone they still have to get it that it is not a substitute for
petroleum and the paradigm shift is still unavoidable. I imagine the
average person will continue to ignore this fact until it is not just in
his face but till it gets to the point that he can no longer cope, which
seems to be the usual story. No pain no gain right? What will it take
for people to accept that they should live close to where they work?
That they should ride a bike or walk?  Are we going to have a war
between food supply and fuel supply? I don't think so. Waste oil will
not fill the need, and trying to produce enough virgin oil will create
it's own problems.  The demand just has to decrease.  There is no
avoiding this.

Joe

Snip