Hi Mike

>So...did Monbiot get his "research" for "Feeding Cars, not People"
>from Lester Brown or, was it the other way around.
>
>It's the same short-sighted promoter of fear that conveniently holds
>back information on more comprehensive incorporation of biofuel into
>a diverse, long term energy strategy.
>
>Claims that put fear into those who haven't done their own research
>will be offset by a growing public consensus on the Internet AND a
>reexamination of suppressed technologies from the 1940's through the
>70's - technologies with associated patents which have become public
>domain.
>
>All we have to do now is keep large telecom corporations from
>merging and influencing legislation that controls Internet traffic.
>
>Mike

I agree. And to use what we're protecting to the best effect. Not
much cause for concern in either case, I reckon. Re protecting it,
have faith in your friendly virtual neighbourhood hacker community,
as in the recent thread re "The End of the Internet":

>A good way of
>looking at the post-modern hacker community is as the IT dept of the
>second superpower.  May the force be with them.  :-)

And

> It takes about 6 months for a pharmacy lab to learn to copy someone
>else's drug.
> It took 72 hours to break the DRM on iTunes.
> It took 24 hours to break the "ultimately encrypted" dvd encryption.
> It took 12 hours to break Arista's new CD protection scheme.
> It took 6 hours to break sony's illegal DRM.
>
> Fear not fellow subverts, the underground will keep us safe. Sort of.

I'm not sure that we really have to do anything about the
anti-biofuels noise being generated by George Monbiot, Lester Brown,
Mae Won-Ho at ISIS, nor indeed Pimentel or Tadzek. They're not going
to lead anybody anywhere other than astray, and indeed it doesn't go
anywhere, apart from the odd 15,000 square miles of desert covered in
algae farms, LOL! Never mind the desert, who cares about deserts. (I
do!) More serious people should be able to figure it out for
themselves, there is better information to be found if you look.

Has anybody ever actually seen any real, genuine, non-mythical
biodiesel made from algae? I mean that actually exists in the
physical universe rather than just in the wish-fulfilment fantasies
of guzzle-addicts? There's the stuff cleaning up the powerplant
smokestacks in that one project but that's a bit different, no?

Best

Keith