This is one of the reasons I don't eat beef. Not every cow is tested for
mad cow disease, a brain disease that has no cure, and ensures a terrible
death. If less than one-percent is tested then the odds are extremely good
that a cow that has it will end up in our supermarkets. Cooking does
not do any good. Prions are nearly impossible to "kill".  Bon Appétit , D. Mindock

We test our kids, but not our cows.  We force small farmers to put an
RFID tag in every little critter under the NAIS program, but we forbid
farmers from testing cows for Mad Cow...what's wrong with this picture?

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?s=4673849

Government Won't Allow Mad Cow Tests; Meatpacker Sues

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Kansas meatpacker sued the government on Thursday
for refusing to let the company test for mad cow disease in every animal
it slaughters. Creekstone Farms Premium Beef says it has Japanese
customers who want comprehensive testing.

The Agriculture Department threatened criminal prosecution if Creekstone
did the tests, according to the company's lawsuit filed in U.S. District
Court in Washington.
Testing for mad cow disease in the United States is controlled by the
department, which tests about 1% of the 35 million cattle, or about
350,000, that are slaughtered each year. The department is planning to
reduce that level of testing.