I'm running ASTM biodiesel, and it has had no effect on the hoses on
my mitsubishi diesel yet (a year), but in 4 months, has done quite a
job on the VW's fuel lines...  Hmmmm.

And yes, the reason no-one runs biodiesel in american diesels is
primarily that there are no american diesels (smaller than the big V-8
or cummins's trucks).  I know many people who do run biodiesel in
them, but they only get 15 to 18mpg usually, so it's only good if you
already want a giant truck.