Robert,

I do not think that it is comparable with Brazil. I think that
the depression in the 30s is a more adequate comparison.
This because US is a democracy, educated population and
leaders who can handle it.

It has been several devaluations in Europe the last 40 years
and they were done at proper timing. The only country who
had severe problems, was Italy. US will be a bit harder, because
the postponements, but hopefully have the competence to
do it right.

Yes, the rich will try to protect themselves and that is one
of the reasons to the current US problems. It is no external
threats to the US dollar, it is internal mismanagement.

Hakan