Hi Joe,
you are rigth on with your comment!
Those"Airtigth" Homes need to be serviced by mechanical Aircontrol,wich create again a energieconsumption by itself.Considerin lots of fixt Windows and the great ability of american Windowmakers to trow away all phisical Laws,you end up with Windows of sometimes very big dimention and ridicule small openings for Ventilation at the Bottom of the Windows,so the warm,humid air stays trappet in the upper part of the room or house.It is common knowledge, it takes more energie to keep humid air warm than to reheat cold air!Drywallconstructin is creating also a unhaelty klimat,so you need a humidifier and so on.
Double Loghomes (machined dry Lumber T+G) can be built to Standards of Low-energie Homes with K-Value of 0,19W/m2k now i havnt been able to convert this into our R-Value but i am certain,it beats R 2000 by far.
Combined a good craftet double Loghome with my 68mm Windows,you have there a  Energie efficien home.
Fore the Larchwood is to say,Larch is probably the best wood in the northern Hemisphere but have never beeing commercially used because it was in the old times to havy to float and it is so darn hard,that carpenters could not nail it.
But with good machines its a peace of cake!There is an other apect talking for Larchwood: one dont need to treat the wood chemically for protection,the most you need to du is applying a coat of Linseedoil (for esthetics only)
Windows and Doors from Larch are very durable to.
If you consider the Whole Picture: Larch built homes are higly energyefficient,
made from a readyly availible lowcost Source and for people with allergies the ideal Home.Combine this with excellent workmanship and you get a result that stand up for centurys (I know Larchbuilt homes with up to 800 years of age)

I have no experiance in rammed eart construction,but would raise some doubts about such a technique for canadian climate

Fritz