Thanks Weaver!

...if only his dream could be kept alive!

Gridlock would take on a whole new meaning and I'd open a burger joint (pun intended) downtown.

:-)

-Redler

Mike Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Uh, Keith, hate to burst your bubble, but it is well-established that
Rudolph Diesel designed his
"engine" primarily to atomize hemp oil, in order to reap its
psychopharmacological benefits. It was really just a big metal bong.
The production of rotational torque was a side effect, and neccessary to
keep the law enforcement people off his back. It was
somewhat later, at a "diesel party," that an attendee (the Cheech Marin
of his day) said "23 skidoo, man, we should put this device into a
horseless carriage and drive around, then everyone could share the
effects." This they did, and the Roaring Twenties were born. The Jazz
Age was
not due to bathtub gin, but rather hemp oil smoke blanketing the
cities. New York City, and in particular Wall Street, had the largest
concentration of hemp oil powered cars, and hence most of the frenzy
started there. People did not buy stocks because of any
"irrational exuberance;" they were stoned.

It all came crashing down when John D Rockefeller of Standard oil got
hemp oil outlawed as a motor fuel, and forced the country to burn
petroleum instead.
Once people sobered up, they quit buying stock, and the Great Depression
started.

If only we would go back to burning hemp oil our problems would be over.

Please correct your "Facts:" below, and I would appreciate it if you
could devote an entire part on the JtF site to getting the truth out. Also,
if you could put a "sponsored by Mike Weaver's Hemp Oil Engines - just
599.99 payable in cash" and a link to my website that would be great.

-Weaver

Keith Addison wrote:

>> * Rudolf Diesel, the inventor of the diesel engine, designed it to
>> run on vegetable and seed oils like hemp. In fact, when the diesel
>> engine was first introduced at the World's Fair in 1900, it ran on
>> peanut oil.
>>

>Aarghh!!! Not the old Rudolf and the Peanut Oil fairytale again!
>
>Facts:
>
>1893 Rudolf Diesel patents the diesel engine.
>
>1900 Rudolf Diesel is twice awarded the Grand Prix at both Paris
>World Fairs (1900 and 1910) for inventing and developing his engine.
>
>But no peanut oil. The true story:
>
>"... excerpts from some of Dr Diesels' work, that he published 1912
>and 1913, where he states that it was the Otto Company that ran one
>of his engines on peanut oil at the request of the French government
>during the 1900 World Fair. He later conducted some trails where he
>determined fuel consumption and assessed operability. He also
>mentions similar successful experiments in St. Petersburg using
>castor oil and animal oils." - Darren Hill
>
>"It WASN'T him! I recently borrowed his book "The Development of the
>Diesel Engine" -afaik the last one he published until he drowned
>himself in the Channel. All kinds of fuels that had been tested are
>described there, from coal dust over weird chemical mixtures that had
>been sent to Diesel by the industry to all sorts of crude oil and
>even tar-oil. Vegoil just got about 4 lines- remarking that it was
>the French "Otto-Company" (yes the Otto-engine!) that ran Diesel's
>engine on peanut oil: "The engine was built for crude oil and was
>used without any modification on vegoil."..."it worked so well that
>only a few insiders took notice of this insignificant circumstance."
>(Diesel, Rudolf. 1913. Die Entstehung des Dieselmotors" 1st reprint
>by Braun, Hans-Joachim (Ed). 1984. Moers: Steiger. Page 115.)." -
>Stephan Helbig
>
>Best
>
>Keith
[snip]