David,
  You wrote:
"some of the carbon in the substrate (the material being decomposed) is
released as CO2 but much of it is utilized  to make more microorganisms."

   Which ultimately die and break down with the release of the carbon.

    During the growth of microbial populations, especially during the
exponential growth phase, carbon is, in fact, stored within organic matter
.... just as during the growth of plants, there is more carbon stored in
organic matter than is being released by the organisms due to cell
respiration.
     Populations, including microbial populations, do not increase in
number/mass indefinitely or they would eventually be expanding into the
universe at the speed of light. Populations grow, peak, and either level
off, or decline based on limiting factors in their environment. Microbes die
and their carbon is released.
     We've been using the same atoms over and over again for billions of
years. Ok, so some additions by way of cosmic dust and meteorites, but the
point is, matter is recycled.

     "Its also important to look at the type of biodegradation that is
occurring. If its aerobic (oxygen rich degradation) then the carbon that
comes off as a gas is primarily CO2. If it is anaerobic (Oxygen deficient
environment) the gas produced is primarily Methane CH4."
     Actually methane is not the primary gas released in anaerobic
conditions  ..... CO2 is , (can be seen during ethanol fermentation by
yeast) other gases include H2 and  H2S.
Methanogenic bacteria  are chemoautotrophic, oxidizing the H2 produced by
other anaerobes in the presence of the CO2 produced by other anaerobes.
   H2    +   CO2   -------->  H2O   +   CH4  +  energy

    "This is why secondary reactors in sewage treatment plants  use
anaerobic digesters to  reduce sludge volume while producing methane to be
used as fuel to be used to produce electricity that offsets some of the
outside energy demands of the plant."

     True, anaerobic decomposition can produce methane gas  ....  whether it
be in sewage treatment plants, mud flats, or in the guts of ruminant
animals. Methane, is, in fact, a more "effective" greenhouse gas than CO2.
The ultimate fate of the C's in methane is CO2.
     As you point out, methane can be burned as fuel
----->  CO2  +  H2O.
     In the atmosphere it tends to react w. oxygen
 ----->  CO2   +   H20.

     We could consider biomass being covered by landslides with the carbon
contained in it being locked away for a million years, or methane burps
rising from mud flats that had been part of an earlier carbon cycle. The
carbon balance is not quite as clear-cut as a business account of credits
and debits.
     The original point was in response to a question re: CO2 emissions:
fossil fuels vs biofuels. My answer involved the cycling of carbon. If we
agree that we are overloading a system with carbon dioxide from ancient
times, while destroying environments that have historically served as carbon
"sinks", then biofuels, used conservatively and with consideration of  how
they are produced and transported, are clearly favorable to the continued
use of fossil fuels.
                                       Tom