Jim,

Instead of ammonia, get a pack of chewing tobacco.  Soak it in a gallon of water for a day in the sun.  Strain the tobacco out and then add the dish soap.  Spray it on the buggies.  The nicotine is absorbed into the little critters and they die.  The plants don't care either way about the stuff.  I do this on the roses that I have.  Works great.

Another thing that I have done is grabbed the coffee can of butts that my nieghbor had.  He thinks I am nutz anyway but the look on his face when I asked him for them was priceless.  I soaked that for a day then strained that.  Worked as well as the chewing tobacco and was free.  Smelled nasty but did the trick just the same.

fred