Kirk,
   I can't tell from your comment on this article whether you feel issues with
wolves are dealt with improperly or if you feel the meat industry is going to
take a real beating from them.  We have wolves here in Minnesota and the
farmers truly  hate them.  However, seeing as how the northern states make up a
smaller percentage of beef production, it seems the wolf impact would be
negligible.  Looking at the USDA site, it appears that the beef populations
would have to take a significant hit (in the order of hundreds of thousands) to
really be impacted.  Also, reading the post by Richard, he seems more concerned
about the game populations and our safety.

Anyway, here is the link to the USDA with the numbers of our cattle industry:
http://www.ers.usda.gov/news/BSECoverage.htm

Regards,
-dave