Hi Jim;

Ok  I made up a graph by adding water one ml at a time to 90 ml of pure methanol.  This was done at 23 degrees C which is the current temperature in my work area.  The hydrometers are calibrated for 15 degrees so this is more practical for my purposes.  As far as Bob's comment on what glycerin in the recovered methanol will do to the specific gravity, I cannot guess but glycerin has a pretty high boiling point and my recovered methanol looks water clear so there is not much glycerin in there I think.  I am going to assume it is negligible.  Primarily I am doing this just to determine roughly how much zeolite I need to dry the methanol. I will err on the conservative side with this. It looks like my recovered methanol has less than 10 % water (worst case) so a litre of methanol should have less than 100 grams of water in it.  If zeolite can adsorb 10% of it's weight in water then 1Kg of zeolite per litre of methanol should be sufficient. Here is the chart. Since I typically recover less than 3 litres of methanol at a time I'll look for a molecular seive which holds at least 3 Kg of zeolite.  BTW I know it was mentioned before and is in the archives but for convenience the type of seives to use for this is 3A. Best place for this is in the pipe upstream of the condenser.  I'll get a trap with a built in heater so I can use my vacuum system to regenerate the seives.  I'll then see how much water comes out of the zeolite and collects in the trap.  I'll be interested to see if the numbers match up.

Cheers
Joe
Graph of methanol_water specific gravity.

JJJN wrote:
Does any one know of a good test to determine the amount of water in
methanol?

Joe were you working on something like this?

Jim