Marylynn Schmidt wrote:
> Wow .. sorry folks, I started deleting those "testimonies" posts because no
> one will ever convince a closed mind and I personally never much cared for
> spitting into the wind.

Sorry folks, but this one hit my radar pretty hard, and I felt compelled
to speak like I so rarely do.

The "closed mind" statement runs both ways, and hits almost every
ideology out there, from die-hard religious fundamentalists to mystics
to politicians and "weed-smoking hippies."

I have been following the "Testimonials" track with some level of
interest; while I consider myself a man of science, things that we can't
yet explain intrigue me too. And, I'm sorry to say, I've seen intense
close-mindedness on both sides. On the one side we have Bob Allen, who
seems in my mind to be making a perfectly reasonable claim: he just
wants to see some numbers, some "real evidence" to convince him that
herbs are only efficacious as herbs, and not as their constituent
compounds.

On the other side we have his opponents, among them Joe Street, Terry
Dyck, Mike Dupree and D. Mindock, to name a few off the top of my head.
These people seem to be, to the best of my knowledge, claiming that
herbs (The topic at hand) are the /only/ things that are truly
efficacious as medicinal compounds, and that pharmaceuticals produced by
synthetic processes just don't hack it.

Both sides are very strong in their position, and to be honest I don't
see either one of them "opening up" to the other's position. Do any of
you who are not involved?

I see it too often in the "real world" too; people sling "close minded"
around to describe anyone who doesn't believe the same thing they do. If
you aren't this denomination but you're that one, you're close minded.
If you aren't for the totally open distribution of presently illegal
drugs, you're closed-minded, or if you're unwilling to consider on the
flip side of the coin that some of those drugs are legitimately
dangerous, you're close-minded but also a stoner/hippy/whatever the
label of the day is.

I'm terrible at making points, but I guess I'll try to just out with it.
I fear that the term "close minded individual" is coming to mean nothing
more than "someone who disagrees with me about something."

I guess that makes sense.

Peace,
-Kurt