Keith Addison wrote:

Sympathies Robert (though we're all in the same lifeboat), but are you sure you're figuring it right? Maybe the next sentence would be "but I didn't die long go so it must all be nonsense".

No, that's not what I was thinking. The sheer volume of environmental insult we're subjected to seems overwhelming, and depressing. Someone posted an article here about water contamination in the "pristine" lakes of various BC mountain ranges, due to airborne pollutants. We simply can't get away from the problem anymore. The air quality in Vancouver (right on the beach) is often marginal because of smog blowing in from Asia.

   Sigh . . .

But the fact that I HAVEN'T keeled over yet is a tribute to the robust nature of the human body.

But are you going to live as long and as healthily as your grandparents did, say?

Likely more. I've already outlived my father, and I've only a few years remaining before I outlive my paternal grandmother. Recall, however, that my family is from Brasil, and that life expectancy among my grandparent's generation wasn't great . . . If I outlive my in-laws, I'll be doing well!

How about your children?

   That concerns me!

You still have some difficulty grasping the Precautionary Principle eh? More than enough reason for at least precaution in all thoise issues you mention. You'd rather have proof beyond all possibility of denial while various corporate bottom-lines get optimised even better and even more crap gets externalised your way? Powerful stuff denial, especially considering the gigabuck resources of the deniers. Downright pity about all the collateral in the meantime though.

Indeed! But my take on this is a little bit more complicated than you seem to grasp. I grew up in a subculture where taboos on food were related to a person's spiritual condition and had to be accepted without criticism. Cheese, for instance, was considered unfit for human consumption. (I'm NOT kidding!) The consumption of meat was frowned upon, and NOBODY ate pork or shellfish. We didn't drink alcohol, or take drugs (unless prescribed by a physician, and then, only with great reluctance). We didn't smoke cigarettes, or chew tobacco either. Some of these things are clearly unhealthy, while the impact on health of the prohibited foods is either scientifically unsupported or downright silly.

But I wouldn't have come to that conclusion had I not begun questioning what had been presented to me as fact. As far as the Precautionary Principle is concerned, you're right to point out that I'm having trouble embracing it, but please bear in mind that it's a very different way of thinking, and it takes time to assimilate what I learn here. (I've already abandoned vegetarianism, and that was REALLY tough!) It gets to the point where it seems EVERYTHING is bad for human health, the sky is falling and we're all going to die horribly . . .

Now, as far as microwave ovens are concerned, my sweetheart uses ours for reheating food and I use it when warming water for tea. If we applied the Precautionary Principle to our society as a whole, we'd have to get rid of electricity because of EMF concerns, fossil hydrocarbon fuels because of cancer and global warming worries, mineral extraction because of heavy metals leaching into groundwater, and on and on and on . . .

Perhaps I'm overstating the case, and maybe this stems from the fact that I really haven't wrapped my mind around the Precautionary Principle yet. But where DOES it stop, Keith? (Air and water pollution are pretty obvious candidates for broad based application of the Precautionary Principle, but what about mineral extraction, or forestry? Can we survive as a society without mining some of the earth's dowry?) I can hear the extremists from my past screaming that milk "is designed to grow a calf into a cow for a year," and that we should never consume milk or milk products because of potential deleterious impacts on human health. They too, cite studies to prove their point and tell me that the arthritis in my joints stems from drinking milk over such a long period of time.

Please forgive me for ranting about this. I'm TRYING to understand, but I'm frustrated, too!

Some further bracingly cheerful news for you, from Acres USA:
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/microwave.html
The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking

   Lovely!

I reheat most of my food in the toaster oven, and I've been trying to get my longsuffering wife to do the same. I'm printing this article for her to read.

(growing things again)

We're under snow right now but there's plenty still growing here, different kinds of greens that can take the cold, Chinese cabbages, ta sai, kometsuma, Swiss chard and so on, and turnips and stuff. We're still digging new potatoes! We planted them much too late, I didn't think we'd get anything, but there's quite a lot, nice! We'll be harvesting winter-hardy onions soon, planted in September (or was it October). We should be able to get us and the poultry through to the spring on fresh food.

You're a model of self-sufficiency, Keith! Our ground is rock hard right now.

Anyway, what makes you so sure there'll be a spring? :-)

I read a book by Michael Drosnin concerning equidistant letter sequences in the Old Testament. (It's his second one on the subject, and has to rank among the most rambling and ill-written things I've read in a long time!) He advocates using this technique as a kind of palantir to determine the future, and warned that we'd suffer a nuclear holocaust in 2006, because the words "nuclear", "holocaust" and the equivalent year of "2006" in the Hebrew calendar all cross one another. Given that today is the last day of the year, if he's right, tomorrow is going to be very different!

I'm either skeptical, or I've got my head in the sand. I want spring to come. It'll be good to get out in the garden again.

   Now, if I can just get that pesky truck of mine running . . .

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
"The Long Journey"
New Adventure for Your Mind