On 1/11/07, Wes Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Taking the data for a unit similar to mine for an example:

30,000btu McQuay with a typical condition 50F entering water temp @ 6.1GPM with
return air temp @ 70, requires
2.383 KW to operate the pump.  This is 8,221 BTU's input. . The output
under these conditions is 31,413 BTU's indicating a COP of 3.86.

My system draws from a 2,000 gallon pool connected to a thermal solar
system … when the pool is 70 to 80 degrees my COP is around 5.

I work in this industry and most of my colleagues refer to this as over
unity.

The actual input to this system is somewhere above 31,413 BTUs  -- not the
8,221BTUs you indicate -- some input being electrical energy, and some being
thermal energy in that 50F entering water.   When defining a thermodynamic
system, it does not matter what form energy crosses the boundry of the
system -- thermal, mecahnical, electrical, it all counts.   Perhaps in the
heat pump industry they refer to this as over-unity, but to a physicist,
just hearing that immediately makes us discount it as nonsense.  I can't
speak for everyone else, but I don't think the arguement here is about
whether heat pumps work, or how they work, but whether the definition
over-unity can be applied to them.