Not knowing the pesticide history of said rose hips - maybe no?

  Kirk

robert and benita rabello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  The muscles in my back, shoulders and forearms ache in a satisfying way.
I've been shoveling barn litter and spreading compost from last year into my
raised garden beds.  It's a little cold outside with the arctic outflow winds
sweeping down from the Cascades in the east, but it feels good to work and I
can see that my earthworm allies have been VERY busy in the compost pile over
the winter.  The noisome equine manure I picked up from the beautiful, elderly
woman in Yarrow has transformed into dark, crumbly material that almost looks
like soil.  I dug two wheelbarrow loads of this into the northernmost (and
least productive) of my garden beds.

Most of my effort in the past couple of weeks has centered upon loading my
truck with barn litter at the nearby cattle auction house.  It's been cold
enough for ice to form and prevent me from getting the Ranger near enough to
shovel the composted litter directly into its cargo box, so I've taken my
wheelbarrow and loaded it, so I can park my truck in a place that allows me to
get out without getting stuck.  (I've been stuck there TWICE this month . . . )
 Despite the cold, once I dig into the pile it steams vigorously, and the
material I'm collecting is very dark and aromatic.  Thus far, I have taken five
loads home.

Our trees are covered in many buds already.  I'm hoping that the weather will
stay cold so that they don't blossom early and suffer if we get a late frost.
This will be year number 4 of "compost remediation," so I'm optimistic that the
trees will have settled in and I won't have the pest infestation / fruit
dropping that has plagued my fruit tree experience thus far.

This morning I noticed that several of the rose plants we picked up from
someone's discard pile (these were left at the side of the road with a sign
that said: "Free Plants") have bright red / orange fruit on them right now.  I
THINK these are rose hips, but I'm not certain because I've never seen them
before.  If they are, they should be full of vitamin C.  Does anyone know how
to prepare rose hips for human consumption?

Thanks!

robert luis rabello  "The Edge of Justice"  "The Long Journey"  New Adventure
for Your Mind  http://www.newadventure.ca    Ranger Supercharger Project Page
http://www.members.shaw.ca/rabello/