This morning I noticed that several of the rose plants we picked up from
someone's discard pile (these were left at the side of the road with a sign
that said: "Free Plants") have bright red / orange fruit on them right now.
I THINK these are rose hips, but I'm not certain because I've never seen
them before.  If they are, they should be full of vitamin C.  Does anyone
know how to prepare rose hips for human consumption?

Yup, those are the rose hips.  I just eat them straight (usually because I
find them hiking through the woods).  But they are sort of gritty and FULL
of seeds.  Not very easy to eat usually.   I would crush them up, cook
lightly, and strain through cheesecloth -- just like initial processing for
any sort of seedy fruit.  After that you could make jelly, tea, whatever
from the liquid.