Latest Seedling magazine now available online

January 2007

Every day the biotechnology companies bombard us with their
publicity. We are told that eight million farmers throughout the
world are already enjoying higher yields and lower production costs
because of the benefits of genetically modified crops. And forever
dangled before us is the carrot of far greater improvements in the
future. We are promised that within a decade the biotech companies
will have designed crops that will deal with drought, salinisation
and all the other problems that we are likely to be facing as the
result of global warming and climate change.

But how true are these claims? Have hybrids and GM crops really
reduced costs and increased yields? And is this kind of farming
sustainable? It is often difficult to probe behind the hype of the
biotech companies and to find out what is happening on the ground. In
this edition, we have an extensive first-hand report from China about
the real impact of hybrid rice, http://www.grain.org/seedling/?id=455
which now covers well over half of the area under rice cultivation in
this vast country. Another article brings together reports from many
different countries - Burkina Faso, China, India, Indonesia, South
Africa and the USA - about the impact of Monsanto's genetically
modified Bt cotton, http://www.grain.org/seedling/?id=457 which has
now been on the market for a decade. The reports uncover profound
concerns among the farmers and a worrying lack of transparency among
the advocates of the new technologies. In both cases, it is clear
that, even if the new crops bring short-term benefits (and this is
not always the case), these can soon be outweighed by serious
long-term problems in both the financial and agronomic viability of
the new varieties.

The biotech companies' response to the plethora of problems is to
come up with another round of technical fixes. We are already hearing
about the second - and even third - generation of GM crops engineered
to deal with the problems created by the first generation. And so it
will continue.Š Not surprisingly, many farmers throughout the world
are increasingly sceptical and are returning to the tried-and-tested
practices of agro-ecological farming. Support is growing for the
concept of food sovereignty - the idea that communities have the
right to define their own agricultural, pastoral, labour, fishing,
food and land policies, in accordance with their own ecological,
social, economic and cultural circumstances.

In this edition, we talk to two different proponents of food
sovereignty, one in Africa, one in India.
http://www.grain.org/seedling/?id=456 Not surprisingly, their
strategies are different, for they come from very different parts of
the world, but they agree on one essential point - the need for local
farmers to be the ones who decide which crops they cultivate, what
farming methods they use and how their produce should be marketed. In
February advocates of food sovereignty from the five continents will
be meeting in Mali for the Forum for Food Sovereignty.

Click here to go to the publication
http://www.grain.org/seedling/?type=66

<snip>