how did he get /that/ one past code??
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kirk McLoren
  To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:39 PM
  Subject: Re: [Biofuel] surviving building collapse

  If structures were seen as "boats" instead of anchored in the soil they could
be safer. A friend of mine did that in So California. He had the cement
foundation sitting on rocks so it could slide. A flexible connection on the
utilities allowed movement and the next quake he had zero damage vs cracked
foundations in his neighbors houses.

  Kirk

  robert and benita rabello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Kirk McLoren wrote:

    > If it saves one child.
    > How sad it is we were all taught to get under our desk.
    > As he said - how obscene. Murdered by misinformation.

    We were taught several things about earthquake survival as
    children. In addition to stored food, water and a portable radio, we
    needed to have shoes by the bed and we were supposed to stay away from
    windows. Flying glass causes a lot of injury, and without shoes, feet
    cut easily on sharp debris. We were warned to NEVER leave a building
    while the ground was shaking, and to exit with great care (look up
    before going out) to avoid getting hit by fascia or other debris falling
    from above. We were told to stay away from stairs and elevators, too.
    If outside, we were to look for open ground, avoiding powerlines and any
    building higher than a single story, if possible, and to stay low.
    (I've almost been knocked off my feet by an earthquake!) If we were
    driving, we were supposed to pull off the road and get out of the car
    and onto the shoulder. (This also allows easier access for emergency
    vehicles.)

    Much of this advice makes sense. Houses and schools where I grew up
    tended to be single storey buildings. Very little of the construction
    involved concrete, save for stem walls in the foundations. If the roof
    is lightweight, pressing into a doorway (the strongest part of the house
    frame) made sense, as long as I put my back to the hinge so that the
    door wouldn't slam against me. In light of what you've posted here, I
    wouldn't do that now, though!

    Where I come from, houses were primarily constructed of wood frames
    that supported thick walls filled with mortared brick. This kind of
    construction fared well in earthquakes because the wood framing allowed
    the houses to flex and sway. (The house I grew up in had been built in
    1928 and survived MANY strong earthquakes without damage.) The biggest
    danger involved chimneys falling into the house. This happened to our
    next door neighbor, but fortunately, no one was hurt.

    I don't think there was a conscious effort to misinform. We were
    once told to put our noses to the floor while trying to escape from
    fires, too, until people began dying from inhaling all of the heavy,
    off-gassing of modern carpets and drapes. We should be willing to adapt
    when new information is presented.

    robert luis rabello
    "The Edge of Justice"
    "The Long Journey"