| Yellowstone Supervolcano Making Strange Rumblings                  |
|   from the if-you-need-me-i'll-be-in-the-netherlands dept.         |
|   posted by Zonk on Thursday March 15, @15:28 (Science)            |
|   http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/15/1836223      |

[0]Frosty Piss writes "Supervolcanoes can sleep for centuries or
millennia before producing incredibly massive eruptions that can drop
ash
across an entire continent. One of the largest supervolcanoes in the
world lies beneath Yellowstone National Park. [1]Significant activity
continues beneath the surface. And the activity has been increasing
lately, scientists have discovered. In addition, the nearby Teton Range
of mountains is somehow getting shorter. The findings, reported this
month in the Journal of [2]Journal of Geophysical Research, suggest
that
a slow and gradual movement of a volcano over time can shape a
landscape
more than a violent eruption."

Discuss this story at:
    http://science.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=07/03/15/1836223