You should plant only heirloom varieties of ANY plant. BTW seeds should sprout easily given the right conditions otherwise nature would not have produced them or rather they would not have survived over time. This difficulty should be warning you of something.

Joe

James Quaid wrote:

Keith,

I'm doing a Jatropha cultivation experiment in AZ. It survived the 115F. But the 24F killed a 1/3 of my test planting. It is very sensitive to a hard freeze. And according to what I've read, standard breeds will produce 300 gal/ acre 600 gal/acre if it blooms twice. Jatropha originally from Central America. I'd be very interested to see what the GMO stuff does especially in cold climes.

I'm having a heckuva time sprouting seedlings. The current batch of seeds I have is from Suriname. We will be doing an acre test planting on a farm with saline wells. Jatropha can allegedly handle salt pretty well.

Here's what the Germans are doing with it: <http://www.d1plc.com>

Regards,
JQ

Keith Addison wrote:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-biodiesel1707apr17,0,4223949.story? track=mostemailedlink
'Farming our fuel'
Officials from a local company will tout the jatropha plant today in Tallahassee. "We're doing things right here in Orlando that are going to change America."

Rich Mckay | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted April 17, 2007

ABOUT BIODIESEL
What is it?
Biodiesel is a fuel made from rendered vegetable oils or animal fats refined through a chemical reaction with an alcohol.
What can be used to make it?
Soybean oil is used to make most of the biodiesel in the U.S. Restaurant grease or any vegetable oil such as corn, canola, cottonseed, mustard oil also can be used. Jatropha oil is widely used in India and Asia. Other companies are developing ways to make biodiesel out of algae, restaurant scraps and even animal carcasses.
Why bother?
Biodiesel is considered an alternative to petroleum diesel because it can be grown, rather than pumped from a well. It is also considered a neutral gas. It doesn't put back into the atmosphere anything it didn't absorb when it was part of the environment.
Is it as powerful as diesel?
It is considered to have the same power as petroleum diesel.
What engines can use it?
It can be mixed with petroleum diesel and used in unmodified diesel engines. Engines can be modified to run 100 percent on biodiesel.
What does biodiesel smell like?
That depends its source. Some say it smells like french fries. Biodiesel made from jatropha doesn't have a strong odor.
SOURCE: Sentinel research

America, meet your next tank of gas -- made from superpowered seeds.

A couple of Orlando entrepreneurs say that a Malaysian variety newly approved for U.S. import could help solve America's energy woes and boost Central Florida's economy with a new cash crop.

State Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson, along with executives from the Orlando-based Xenerga Inc., are scheduled to introduce a patented version of the jatropha plant today in Tallahassee.

"We're doing things right here in Orlando that are going to change America," said Dave Jarrett, a company spokesman. "Just wait and see."

The oil pressed from the jatropha nut can be used to make biodiesel, producing six to eight times the amount of energy extracted from soybeans -- the most common crop used for biodiesel in the U.S.

Xenerga president Jason Sayers and his business partner Victor Clewes have the exclusive patent on the high-octane version of the plant with seeds that grow inside bunches of fat green pods the size of peach pits.

It can produce 1,600 gallons of biodiesel per acre, compared with soy's 200 gallons, Sayers said.

A Lake Wales farmer is ready to grow 5,000 acres of the genetically enhanced jatropha, Jarrett said. And unlike soy, which takes lots of tending, fertilizer and water, the jatropha plant can grow happily in arid soil, with little water and almost no tending.

"Think of it as farming our fuel," Sayers said.

President Bush mandated that refineries should have renewable fuels blended into 7.5 billion gallons of the nation's fuel supply by 2012.

Only about 75 million gallons of biodiesel were sold in the U.S. last year, compared with about 6 billion gallons of petroleum diesel, according to the National Biodiesel Board, a trade organization.

"Biodiesel is huge in Europe and Asia," Sayers said. "America is just now catching up."

So Sayers and his associates are also launching a venture with Xenerga that will sell prefabricated mom-and-pop biodiesel refineries for about $2 million.

Their plan is to sell turnkey operations, manufactured in Germany and shipped here, and promise a steady supply of raw materials and customers. They have contracts to build about 16 of the refineries. Each refinery, if running at capacity, can produce 5 million gallons of biodiesel a year. Jarrett said they already have a slew of inquiries and expect to have 100 refineries throughout the country up and running in 18 months.

Besides the jatropha nut, his other sources will include a plentiful supply of restaurant grease. Through Sayers' other business, FiltaFry, which cleans restaurant fryers, he spotted a potential energy source in leftover grease.

The National Biodiesel Board said the industry is growing fast, with about 90 plants operating now and another 60 under construction.

While Xenerga won't have its first plant, in Kissimmee, up and running for two more months, Silver Bullet Energy has a small plant in Groveland that started making biodiesel this year out of grease extracted from sewage.

Another company, Southeast BioDiesel, plans to make about 6 million gallons of fuel a year from restaurant grease or soybean oil. It expects to be up and running in Sanford this summer.

And MetroWest developer and entrepreneur Kevin Azzouz said he's getting into the business with a company called Clean Fuel. He envisions using restaurant grease at a plant in Orange County that would create about 400 jobs.

Azzouz already made the rounds to potential customers, including Orange County Public Schools, which runs 1,000 buses each school day using a total of 14,000 gallons of diesel.

"We buy our diesel by the tanker-truck load," said Arby Creach, a transportation manager for Orange County schools.

School Board member Karen Ardaman said that biodiesel is promising, especially if produced locally.

"If it's cost-effective, hopefully it would help us stretch our dollars," she said.

Rich McKay can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or 407-420-5470.