Keith,
   I think stories of this underscore the broken nature of the patent process.
The technology is fraught full of this.  Amazon.com patented  the "one click"
checkout.  Now, if you distill your e-business site down to one click you are
infringing on their patent.  Thus, you don't have to invent anything, just be
the first at the patent office with a process no matter how fundamental or
natural it may be.

It will be interesting with transesterfication since it's a well documented
chemical process.  I would venture it would not hold up in court and thus, if
someone tried to sue, the biodiesel community would get together and attempt to
fight it since a ruling would effectively impact all producers.