Hi Dawie

>Keith has emphasized before that meaningful food production doesn't
>require huge tracts of land. It is amazing what can be done in very
>small spaces.
>
>Modern cities contain vast amounts of wasted land, but the resulting
>pattern is one that attracts too much moving about of people and
>stuff for non-food-production purposes. There's a vicious circle
>with too much roadway and parking generating an insatiable need for
>more roadway and parking. I'm proposing that urban areas become a
>lot tighter, though fragmented into smaller pockets, somewhat like
>the cities of medieval Europe, so that the greatest proportion of
>non-food-production functions are best supported by a
>pedestrian-based local economy. In practice, the typical "new-world"
>city should be steered to develop into twenty-odd (depending on the
>size of the city) "mini-cities" separated by farmland.

Or interpenetrated by farmland, in many shapes and forms, but
sometimes just plain farmland. Japanese cities have patches of
farmland throughout, a small field here and there, some of them not
so small, with occasional clumps of fields, they're everywhere. Not
just veggies, rice and soybeans and so on too. There are allotments
as well. People don't notice them much but they produce a lot of
food. There's still quite a lot of waste ground too, empty lots and
all the usable bits and pieces of ground you start seeing around the
place when you begin to take some notice.

>A lot of that farmland is currently the
>supposedly decorative gardens of sprawling suburbs.

And/or allotments and so on, and quite a lot of suburban folks raise
some vegetables.

>The more I get into it, though, the more I realise how much food can
>be produced even in the densely built city areas,

There's room for it, once you start thinking that way you see it everywhere.

>especially in the upper-storey courtyards that result almost
>inevitably from the desire to use available space most effectively
>while maintaining decent daylight and ventilation. This applies as
>much to small livestock as to crops.
>
>I don't see cows being kept on rooftops. Cow-sized staircases would
>just consume too much space! But I do see small dairy operations
>within easy walking distance of city centres.

It's amazing where people manage to keep poultry and pigs.

Food for cities is not that big a problem eh? Mainly an attitude
problem, and the attitude's changing.

Best

Keith

<snip>