That's how we always planted them.  Maybe more like 6" of straw.  The
actual pototatos were planted about 4" deep in the dirt, then after
they came up, the straw was put on.  At the end of the year, you could
pull the straw back and the potatoes would be sitting mostly right on
top of the dirt.  So, they were definitely growing in dirt, but the
potatoes formed at the very top of it.