Wonder what the payback time of those granite counters and appliances is?

On 6/15/07, Mike Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wonder if you could look at the carbon output and extrapolate backwards
> to get a rough idea what the cost is.
>
> Interesting side note:  I was at the bus stop in my neighborhood, which is
> for lack of a better word, one of the more exclusive suburbs in the
> country, mosty due to its proximity to DC.  Many people are tearing down
> their small houses and building huge ones, or substantially remodeling
> what they have.  I fell into conversation with one neighbor doing the
> latter.  As the conversation started on the subject of the cost of gas and
> energy in general, I asked if they'd thought about solar for power, heat
> and hot water, a multi-fuel furnace - such as a Tarm and extra insulation,
> etc.  They'd thought about it, but realized that the $50,000 or so for the
> above was about the cost of granite counters and Sub Zero appliances in
> the kitchen, and after all, this was their dream house - wasn't it?
>
> "High efficiency" gas heating and cooling along with better windows are as
> far as most people here will go.
>

> > http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg18995.html
> > [biofuel] The Railroading of Amtrak
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg12055.html
> > [biofuel] Subsidizing Trains, Planes And Automobiles
> >
> > (The whole discussion thread is linked at the end of the page.)
> >
> > Trains are a great way to travel, even better than ships. And the
> > best way to commute.
> >
> >>Like Keith stated so succinctly in a prior post,
> >>the USA isn't addicted to oil, it is addicted to
> >>waste.
> >
> > I didn't check it and I didn't download it either, but somebody was
> > saying that people bandied the figure around a lot these days that
> > the US had 5% of the world's population and uses 25% of the energy,
> > but he'd seen data years ago that the US used 45% of the world's
> > energy and he didn't think it had shrunk.
> >
> > I got to wondering what the figure might be if you included the full
> > energy costs of the war in Iraq, for instance, or the full energy
> > costs of the Empire's global military establishment, as someone like
> > Chalmers Johnson might put it, along with all the support stuff that
> > goes with it. For starters. What's the global energy bill of the US?
> > (Or am I looking at it all wrong?)
> >
> > I don't suppose we'd ever find out. I'm not very surprised when
> > energy data turns out to be mostly smoke and mirrors. That's been the
> > case with oil reserves for a long time, especially with what Matt
> > Simmons has had to say about it more recently. Nobody really knows,
> > but that doesn't stop them lying about it.
> >
> > Whatever, a lot of list members have talked about the waste of energy
> > in the US. Hakan, for instance, who'd know, said the US was IIRC
> > about 30 years behind Sweden with energy efficient buildings. The
> > section on world energy use at our website (which might be where the
> > 25% came from) says "The average American uses twice as much energy
> [...]

Zeke Yewdall
Chief Electrical Engineer
Sunflower Solar, A NewPoint Energy Company
Cell: 720.352.2508
Office: 303.459.0177
FAX documents to: 720.269.1240
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.cosunflower.com

CoSEIA Certified
Certified BP Solar Installer
National Association of Home Builders

Quotable Quote

"In the dark of the moon, in flying snow,
in the dead of winter, war spreading,
families dying, the world in danger,
I walk the rocky hillside
sowing clover."