http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/09/13/ap4115047.html
- Forbes.com
Associated Press
UN Skeptical of Biofuel Price Hikes
By ARIEL DAVID 09.13.07, 1:05 PM ET

ROME -

A senior U.N. environmental official cautioned Thursday against
claims that increasing demand for biofuels was resulting in higher
grain prices, saying the linkage was only speculation.

While further study is needed to understand the impact of biofuels on
crop markets, it is unlikely that environmentally friendly biofuel
crops are responsible for price increases of tortilla flour in Mexico
or of pasta in Italy, said Achim Steiner, executive director of the
U.N. Environment Program.

"Global price fluctuations in the grain markets have always existed,
although we are for some, like wheat, at historic highs at the
moment," Steiner said at a news conference in Rome. "It would be
somewhat premature to say that pasta costs more because there is
biofuel grown in other parts of the world."

On the other hand, the increasingly violent weather caused by global
warming does pose a real danger to crops and to food supplies,
particularly for the world's poorest, Steiner said on the sidelines
of a two-day national conference on climate change in Italy held at
the Rome-based U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization.

"We should ask ourselves: are we getting single-minded about the
biofuels issue instead of looking at the full spectrum of issues?"

Also Thursday, Italian consumer groups called a strike against pasta
and bread products to protest recent grain price increases.
Additionally, in Brussels, the EU's top agricultural official called
for increased production of wheat, oats and barley to counter world
shortages.

Fuels made of corn, palm oil and other plants have been hailed as a
cleaner and cheaper energy source than the greenhouse-gas emitting
fossil fuels. But officials have been saying the rush for biofuels
could have a downside.

Over the summer, the United Nations issued a multi-agency report
involving the U.N. Environment Program and others warning that the
benefits of biofuels could be offset by environmental problems and
increased prices for the hungry.

Politicians have also blamed the shortages and high prices on
biofuels, as well as on poor harvests in major producing regions and
rising demand from industrializing nations such as India and China.

"There are speculative assumptions at the moment," Steiner told
reporters. "We are working together with our colleagues in different
institutions to assess whether that linkage can really be made."

Steiner also noted that farmers, particularly in the United States,
are capable of increasing production to respond to a rise in demand.

A different threat to supply and price stability comes from climate
change and the expected increase in floods, droughts and other
crop-damaging weather.

"It is clear that we will face a greater risk of variations in
supply, which in turn will create much more price volatility, and
that is a difficult consequence particularly for the poorest
economies in the world," Steiner said.

While voicing his caution on the link to prices, Steiner echoed
widespread concerns that, if left unregulated, the push to plant new
biofuel crops could hurt the environment.

Regions like Europe, where the EU has pledged to replace 10 percent
of transport fuel with biofuels by 2020, must ensure that imported
biofuels are not grown by cutting down tropical rain forests or
damaging other sensitive areas, Steiner said.

"Like with other products, there are sustainability criteria and the
world is struggling at the moment to agree on those," he said.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press