Kirk,
     It's not my intention to argue for or against vaccination of children.
I am interested in the possible relationship between vaccination and the
rise in certain diseases/disorders.
      Perhaps you can clarify a few points:

     >   "This is not a rare occurrence. Epidemics in fully vaccinated
 >populations are a rule rather than an exception..."
> Dr. Viera Scheibner, Australia
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viera_Scheibner

     I did not find this quote at the site you referred to.

     >   "The DEATH RATE from smallpox was actually higher among >those who
had been vaccinated."

     Who are you quoting? Where can I find more info.
     Example:
      If 50% of the unvaccinated population contracts smallpox, and 50% of
these people die from it  =  25% of the unvaccinated pop dies from smallpox
           If 1% of the vaccinated pop. contracts smallpox and 51% of these
people die from it =  0.5% of the vaccinated pop die from smallpox.
     This would not be an argument against vaccination.

>   "It is a well documented fact that the incidence and mortality from
>  >infectious diseases fell by 90% well before any vaccine was even
>  >introduced... So [the U.S.] mandated vaccination and it resulted in a
>  >three-fold increase in whooping cough..."

     Again, where did this quote come from?

     I would like to know if this ("infectious diseases fell by
90%")corresponded to the time period in which Joseph Lister associated
bacteria with infection with, and then Robert Koch demonstrated that "germs"
can cause disease. Improved sanitary methods/aseptic procedures result in
dramatic decreases in infectious disease even today. Given a choice between
one or the other, I would go for improving sanitary conditions over
vaccination. In itself, that would not argue against vaccination.

     >In the March 4, 1977 issue of Science Jonas and Darrell Salk warn, >"Live
virus vaccines against influenza or poliomyelitis may in each instance
 >produce the disease it intended to prevent. The live virus against measles
 >and mumps may produce such side effects as encephalitis (brain >damage).
>from  http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php?p=534

This is taken from:
    "Control of influenza and poliomyelitis with killed virus vaccines"
J Salk and D Salk
Science 4 March 1977: 834-847.

     The article referred to does, in fact, warn against the use of live
viruses in vaccines. I don't think any vaccines today use live viruses.
     It also, in part, explains some of the problems Dr. Howenstine refers
to in his 2003 article "Why You Should Avoid Taking Vaccines"
http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php?p=534  Many of the problems cited
occurred in the late 1800's and first half of the 1900's  when live viruses
were injected to confer passive immunity.

     I think many of us are concerned with possible links between multiple
vaccinations' "tricking" of our immune system and the rise in asthma, for
example; with the addition of mercury and/or aluminum to vaccines and the
rise in autism and attention deficit disorders. It has been difficult to
separate the role vaccines play in the dramatic rise in many
diseases/disorders from other factors: mercury and other heavy metal
contaminants in food and water, pesticides, artificial colorings,
flavorings, and other food additives.
 Any help in this regard is appreciated.
         I don't see any benefit to adding heavy metals, pesticides and
other carcinogens to my food and water. I am not convinced that vaccinations
are without benefit.
                                                 Tom