your temps are getting very close to where the methanol will start to boil
not something you want to happen,,, esp in your kitchen(been there) incomplete
reaction,, boiling mess to clean up   not pretty       kelly> Date: Tue, 29 Apr
2008 12:33:58 -0500> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org> Subject: Re: [Biofuel] biodiesel
test batch question> > Thanks Jim, that is very helpful and I'll be sure to
monitor my temps > closely as I blend. I thought maybe there was a chance that
it would > hold the same temp for that reason, but would never have guessed a
temp > increase.> > James Pfeiffer wrote:> > Hey Mike. I'm a novice too but,
for what it's worth, in my first 10 test batches in a blender I have gotten a
pretty substantial temperature increase during mixing - between 10F and 20F
increase depending on how long I mixed the batch (from 25 to 45 minutes) and
whether it was my first, 2nd or 3rd batch of the evening (basically
"preheating" the blender). In my first couple of batches I tried to insulate
the blender with a towel because I was worried that the mixture would cool
during blending. After I saw such significant temperature gains, I took off the
towel. I believe that the temperature increase is due to friction of the blades
- I don't know if it is an exothermic reaction.> > > > As I write this email,
I'm running another test batch. the oil was heated to 148F before putting it
into a cold blender. When I started processing, the mixture was 122F and 42
minutes later it is at 145F. I'm processing 40 minutes instead of the 20 to 30
minutes recommended on Journey-to-forever just because I'm trying to ensure a
complete reaction.> > > > Hope that's useful.> > > > Jim> > > > >