Hello Tom, welcome

>Why do some companies (like Monsanto) have such disregard for their
>reputation?

Oh, I don't think they do. They do tend to have more message
management problems than some (but not others), but they manage it
quite well, or rather quite effectively.

 From a previous message:

><http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2002/may/14/greenpolitics.digitalmedia>
>The fake persuaders
>Corporations are inventing people to rubbish their opponents on the internet
>
>There's more about it in the archives. This is just the tip of the
>iceberg with this kind of disinfo campaign. It even has a name -
>"viral marketing" they call it:
>
>"An article on its [Bivings] website, entitled Viral Marketing: How
>to Infect the World [by Andrew Dimock, head of Bivings' online
>marketing and promotions division], warns that 'there are some
>campaigns where it would be undesirable or even disastrous to let the
>audience know that your organisation is directly involved... it
>simply is not an intelligent PR move. In cases such as this, it is
>important to first "listen" to what is being said online... Once you
>are plugged into this world, it is possible to make postings to these
>outlets that present your position as an uninvolved third party...
>Perhaps the greatest advantage of viral marketing is that your
>message is placed into a context where it is more likely to be
>considered seriously.'"

On the other hand, if their claims that only biotech can feed a
starving world and so on carry any weight at all (they don't), if
their product can stand on its own merits in the marketplace, then
why would they need to stoop to such totally slimy and ethics-free
tactics as those of the Bivings Group, just for starters?

>It's so clear that greed drives this corporation, what benefits
>can come from this?

Isn't it a legal requirement that corporations make the bottom-line
their priority?

>Walmart acts this way too, and I don't see the benefits?

No, other than for Walmart.

"Small-scale capitalism works out fine, but as scale increases the
departure from real capitalism becomes more pronounced---profits are
privatized, but costs are socialized. The attendant repair and
maintenance are left to succeeding generations if possible, if not,
to present low and middle income taxpayers." (Tvo)

>It's almost like one day they just stopped caring.

Caring? Why/how would a corporation care? They spend a lot of money
persuading us all that they're persons and citizens and so on
(corporations have more human rights than you do), but that's not how
they're built to function. They care when it costs less than not
caring.

This is worth a read:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg65027.html>
Re: [Biofuel] worth reading -an insight into politics and
corporations - 4% of population is psychopathic
Mon, 07 Aug 2006

Also:
<http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previous5.html#creed>
Feel No Remorse -- The Corporate Creed

>I suspect it will be the
>downfall of these companies.

But then they get bailed out eh? If they've been paying their dues.
But I agree with you, it's just all too in-your-face these days,
people are getting unmesmerised by the million, and I guess when
enough of them get cross enough things will change, one way or
another. It's already happening.

See "How to kill a mammoth", from Roberto Verzola, secretary-general
of the Philippine Greens:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg30628.html>
[biofuel] Mammoth corporations

More on the California legislation:
<http://www.calgefree.org/speakout.html>
Monsanto's intimidation tactics no longer legal

Best

Keith

>Tom Epp
>
>On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 12:54 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  Some Farmers Now Protected Against  Monsanto Lawsuits
>>  _
>>
>>http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/09/27/some-farmers-no
>>  w-protected-against-monsanto-lawsuits.aspx?source=nl_
>>  (
>  >
>http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/09/27/some-farmers-now-protected-against-mons
>  > anto-lawsuits.aspx?source=nl)
>>
>>  Farmers with crops that become contaminated by patented  genetically
>>  engineered (GE) seeds or pollen have been the target of harassing  lawsuits
>>  brought by
>>  biotech patent holders, especially Monsanto.
>>
>>  But a landmark piece of legislation protecting California's  farmers from
>  > crippling lawsuits has passed through both legislative houses.

<snip>