Hei Gavin

>hei keith,
>
>our organization consists of musicians who want to take responsibility
>for our energy use - we are interested in any technology that can
>power our live sound needs sustainably.

Yes I know that, otherwise I wouldn't have ventured an opinion.

>wvo biodiesel is a great idea
>in general, but a logistical nightmare for our circumstances: sourcing
>+ transporting chemicals across international borders,

How so? What chemicals?

>varied wvo
>sources,

What's the difficulty with that? I don't think anybody else has any difficulty.

>and so on.. the complications of proper biodiesel are too
>difficult compared to e.g. woodgas

It's probably only in Finland that people would make that comparison,
thanks to Vesa Mikkonen.

>it appears we also have reason to use a centrifuge for the same
>reasons you cited (mobility, collecting grease as we go, limited
>settling time),

Again, how so? Make it in advance in Helsinki and take it with you.
I've done such things without any difficulty, so have many others.

>if it is capable of generating electricity for live
>sound gear without all the chemical inputs,

Methanol and potassium hydroxide are extremely common chemicals,
available everywhere, certainly in Helsinki.

>glycerol byproduct + other
>difficulties.

What's the difficulty with the by-product? What other difficulties?

>we don't intend to produce/sell premium biodiesel; we
>just want to run our events on renewable energy instead of the oil/
>coal/nuclear grid standard in this part of the world.

You're far from alone in that too. We have several times provided
biodiesel to power the generators at big two-day summer music
festivals here in Japan. No need for centrifuges.

>keeping it as simple as practical!

I disagree. Also you don't seem to have read what's at the links I gave you:

>  > Centrifuges
>>  <http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#centr>
>>
>>  Also:
>>
>>  Filtering WVO
>>  <http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#fltr>
>>
>>  Filtering biodiesel
>>  <http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#fltrbd>

Centrifuges don't work well. And biodiesel is much better fuel than
WVO anyway. What sort of WVO kit are you planning to fit to your
vehicles? (Yes, it needs a kit, not cheap - unless you're willing to
put the fuel system at risk.) Are you aware that you'll have to make
sure that the WVO you collect is suitable for use as SVO fuel? That
means titrating it:

Fuel quality
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html#gnl

Titration for SVO
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html#titsvo

Titration for SVO is the same process as for making biodiesel, but
the purpose is different. With biodiesel, it simply tells you how
much catalyst to use, then you go ahead and do it. With SVO, however,
it tells you whether the fuel is usable or not, and if it's not you
have to find a source of better-quality oil. It's not less trouble,
it's more trouble. If you're hoping that a centrifuge can solve the
oil quality problem, forget it - the high levels of acids in
poor-quality oils cannot be removed by a centrifuge. The only way to
do that is to use a chemical process called transesterification,
which is how you make biodiesel.

Best

Keith