Hi James

Thanks. But there's a but...

>Speaking of renewable alternatives, Monbiot has some interesting comments
>ref the UK...
>
>http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2010/05/20/out-of-sight-out-of-trouble/

>... Were we to use only 29% of the total resource, the UK would
>become a net electricity exporter. We would be generating energy
>equivalent to 1bn barrels of oil a year, which roughly corresponds
>to the average amount of North Sea oil and gas the UK has been
>producing over the past four decades.

That's a bit misleading. Very little oil is used for electricity
generation, it's nearly all coal-fired, or natural gas or nuclear.
Most oil is used for transport and for heating, and especially as
feedstock for chemicals manufacturing (where most of the profit comes
from).

In any case, this is the big if:

>The construction effort would be roughly similar to building the
>North Sea oil and gas infrastructure: eminently plausible, in other
>words, if propelled by strong government policy.

If only.

Strong government policy on anything is only a plausible prospect if
it suits TPTB - or if you and I and the rest of us are willing to
hold the feet of our noble leaders firmly to the fire, and to be
relentless about it.

All best

Keith