On March 30, 2011 5:05 PM [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
"You do not need to denature unless you sell the ethanol. This has nothing
to do with the permit process."

   For anyone interested in knowing the facts about the regs and permit
process for distilling fuel alcohol in the United States go to
      http://www.ttb.gov/industrial/alcoholfuel_regs_laws.shtml

This site is maintained by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, a
division of the U.S. Dept of Treasury. Here one can access the regulations
relating to production of fuel alcohol, get help with the permit process and
even apply for a permit online.

Ex: Under  Laws 26 U.S.C. 5181, Distilled Spirits for Fuel Use we find:

               TITLE 26--INTERNAL REVENUE CODE
       Subtitle E--Alcohol, Tobacco, and Certain Other Excise Taxes
             CHAPTER 51--DISTILLED SPIRITS, WINES, AND BEER
  Subchapter B--Qualification Requirements for Distilled Spirits Plants
  Sec. 5181. Distilled spirits for fuel use
{snip}
                (2) Rendering unfit for use

        For protection of the revenue and under such regulations as the
    Secretary may prescribe, distilled spirits produced under this
    section shall, before withdrawal from the bonded premises of a
    distilled spirits plant, be rendered unfit for beverage use by the
    addition of substances which will not impair the quality of the
    spirits for fuel use.

Ex.  If we go to "Regulations"
           27 CFR Part 19, Subpart Y, Distilled Spirits for Fuel Use
ยง 19.907   "Meaning of terms."
We find the definition of  Fuel alcohol: "Distilled spirits which have been
rendered unfit for beverage use at an alcohol fuel plant as provided in this
subpart."

     I'll be the first (?) to admit that reading through the regs relating
to distilling fuel grade alcohol is tedious and time-consuming, that is
where the actual regs are to be found.

                  Tom