Greetings Tom, good to hear from you.

>     Used motor oil contains metals, including dangerous
>heavy metals. Because of the presence of heavy metal
>contaminants there are often restrictions on the
>burning of WMO in residential heating systems in
>countries that have air quality regulations.

Commercially made forced-air WMO burners atomise the oil to burn it,
and the heavy metal contaminants go straight up the smokestack into
the atmosphere.

Roger Sanders and I were trying to figure this out. His WMO burner
<http://journeytoforever.org/RSwoh1.html> doesn't use power and
doesn't actually burn the oil - instead it heats the oil and burns
the vapours. The only emissions are soot (pure carbon) and water
vapour - the soot falls to the ground and the carbon is effectively
sequestered. Inside the heater it produces ash, easily removed and
disposed of, and a tiny amount of unburnt residue left at the bottom
of the cone. This residue would include any heavy metals etc. It can
easily be collected, after a year or so you'd have maybe enough to
fill a tomato can, which you can take to the hazmat folks.

What puzzled us is where the heavy metals come from. Does it come
from the engine or the oil? Mercury, lead, cadmium, in an engine?
That doesn't sound right. Trying to find out what the oil additives
contain is difficult, murky, like everything else connected with the
oil industry.

>    "Filtering" of waste motor oil, I hope, would include a
>away to remove the metals, before recycling it.

I also hope.

>    While non-synthetic motor oil does experience thermal
>breakdown, synthetic motor oil does not. Is recycling
>only done on synthetic motor oil?

When the workshops dump the WMO into the disposal/recycling/whatever
drum, do they separate the non-synthetic from the synthetic? Doesn't
it all go in together?

Below is what I tell people who want to use WMO as fuel in their
diesels (that's quite a lot of people):

>Your truck will probably run on it, diesel engines will run on just
>about anything. But for how long?

>Used engine oil should be sent to a used oil recycling centre so
>that it can be re-refined for reuse. One gallon of used motor oil
>(3.78 litres) provides the same 2.5 quarts (2.37 litres) of
>lubricating oil as 42 gallons of crude oil (159 litres), and
>re-refining used oil takes 50 to 85% less energy than refining crude
>oil (US EPA, American Petroleum Institute). It can be recycled again
>and again.
>
>More information:
>
>http://www.oilrecycling.gov.au/what-happens.html
>What Happens to Your Recycled Used Oil
>
>http://www.recycleoil.org/
>Used Motor Oil Collection and Recycling - American Petroleum Institute
>
>http://www.epa.gov/wastes/conserve/materials/usedoil/oil.htm
>EPA Wastes: Used Oil Management Program
>
>Recycling Used Engine Oil into Fuel Oil
>http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/08/recycling_used_.html
>
>Recycle Waste Oils, Crude Oils and Plastic into Low Sulphur EN590
>Diesel (for Heating, Transport and Power Generation)
>http://www.globalfinest.com/tech/

I think, though, that a large proportion of the WMO stream ends up in
landfills and sewers. :-( Wastes shouldn't be wasted, IMHO.

Regards

Keith