Robert,
   I don't think you'll get much argument re: your
contention that "any OBDII vehicle can run E85", the
question is for how long.
   I only waded through the study you cited, but some
points should be made:
   1. It looked at exhaust emissions from 16 vehicles
comparing low ethanol/gasoline blends blends of 10%(E10),
15%(E15) and 20%(E20) to gasoline (E0). Changes in
exhaust emissions indicated that the vehicles did make
fuel:air adjustments i.e. they "learned" to run on the
ethanol blends. The study did not include E85.
   2. The authors state that the study did not include an
"operability" component and while they point out that
there were no observed leaks in any of the vehicles,
they also state that the vehicles were only driven about
200 miles on the ethanol blends.
   3. 6 of the 16 vehicles did not make adjustments at
"wide open throttle" and emissions were consistently
hotter as these vehicles ran at "lean blends".

   None of this is real news. Here in the US we've been
running our cars on E10 ("gasohol") sine '83.
   A couple of years ago I bought a piece of "lab
equipment" - a '99 Ford Ranger; flex fuel version. It
loves E85. When I go from E10 to E85, you can hear the
engine settle in to it. It almost instantly adjusts to
whatever blend I feed it.
   The owner of the station that sells me the E85 told me
that when he started selling E85 he filled up the tank
of his family car. "It ran a bit rough for a few miles,
but then ran fine." He wouldn't run more than a tankful
or two ... went on about seals and fuel lines. Same
message from some reliable mechanics: E10 no problem.
E85 is a different story.
   So, will newer model vehicles run on E85? Probably. We
certainly want them to run at various temps and
altitudes and for more than 200, 1000, or even 10,000
miles.

   Interesting info in the study you cited regarding small
engines running on the lower ethanol blends. Many will
not run on blends as low as E20 w/o adjustment  ex
raise fuel tank relative to engine and/or adjusting
idle settings. Even with adjustments the engines run
hot resulting in increased emissions of oxides of
nitrogen and shorter lifespans for the engines.

   I'm not opposed to ethanol. I'm especially interested
in ethanol that is produced at various levels of scale
including homebrew utilizing feedstock from the waste
stream. I look forward to the day when I can purchase
E85 made from something other than food.
        Best to You,
               Tom

> I maintain that any OBDII vehicle can run E85. If your
> "check engine"
> light comes on, reset it and keep driving. (It's usually
> an O2 sensor
> that triggers the light.) The onboard computer WILL
adapt.
>  Here's what
> the NREL had to say on the matter:
>
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/117331392/Effects-of-Intermediate-Ethanol-Blends
>
> There are no E85 pumps in British Columbia. The best we
> can do is E10,
> which is only advertised as available at Husky.
>

> Robert Luis Rabello
> Adventure for Your Mind
> http://www.newadventure.ca
>
> Ceremonies and Celebrations video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3k-s_sg1Q
>
> Meet the People video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txsCdh1hZ6c
>
> Crisis video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZedNEXhTn4
>
> The Long Journey video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy4muxaksgk
>

> This communication may be unlawfully collected and
stored
> by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The
> parties to this email do not consent to the retrieving
or
> storing of this communication and any related metadata,
as
> well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating,
> or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
> this communication in error, please delete it
immediately.

> -----
> No virus found in this message.
Release