Hello Reinhard

Thanks for the reply.

>Hello Keith,
>
>We ran the lister type diesel engine directly with Jatropha oil,
>which was just sedimented. The only adjustment of the engine was a
>second fuel filter.

Well, thankyou, that's what I thought. There's a Biofuel list member
in Australia who runs an old Lister in straight chicken fat. But
there seem to be different kinds of Listers. I wonder if the Lister
sold in the US, for instance, is the same as the type made in India
and Sri Lanka, and probably in China too. Is it a generic name as
well as a brand? Like Petromax - you know the Petromax lanterns? Nice
things, burn biodiesel or ethanol just as happily, and you can put a
stove on top. They're also made in India, Singapore, Taiwan, China,
but not quite the same, and not always the same quality as the
original. In the case of the Lister though, the Third World type
might be better (tougher).

>A UN-project took this over and they were disseminating the Lister
>type diesel engines with plant oil. But right now they don't mention
>any more the aspect of runningf the engine with Jatropha fuel.

I noticed that. And it's quite an expensive project now. And less
adaptible, more top-down?

>see: http://www.ptfm.net
>
>We also had a study done by a German diesel engine producer. He
>concluded that the Jatropha oil can be used as fuel without
>problems. He also used the Jatropha oil as lubricant and said it is
>ok.
>
>Our idea was, to use the oil first as lubricant, and then burn it as
>fuel in the engine.
>-----

This was in a Lister? I think Lister or not, generators are more
forgiving of SVO (or WVO) use than a car engine would be.

>Here in Germany modern direct injection diesel engines are converted
>to run on SVO.
>
>There is also a modification kit available for precombustion chamber
>engines, which you can install by yourself. In a workshop in Denmark
>even an musician was able to do it, so it should not be too
>difficult:
>
>They change the injectotor to a pintle injector and change the
>incandescent plug (?) to one which glows much longer, if not almost
>permanently. Then the fuel pipe
>from the reservoir is replaced by a larger one, and a second fuel
>filter is added. This filter is heated with en electric heat band.
>Also a heat exchanger is installed, which gives the heat of the
>cooling water to the oil. The are also some switches and relais to
>regulate it.
>
>The whole systen costs about 800 Euro/US$, that depends on the car.
>
>http://www.elsbett.com

Have you seen our SVO page? Reffed below - we mention Elsbett there,
and other SVO systems. I think the Elsbett and Biocar systems from
Germany might be the only good way to run a modern DI on SVO. But I
think WVO would still need pre-treatment - they don't cover WVO in
their warranties, do they? My view of it is that if you're going to
be sure of not messing up your DI and since it needs considerable
pre-treatment anyway, you might just as well turn the WVO into
biodiesel and be safe and sure.

But again, the ACREVO study mentioned below really deserves some
follow up - adding 9% of 95% ethanol to SVO brought combustion
characteristics (and emissions reductions) that a DI could probably
live with quite happily. DIs could then use the same modification kit
as for IDIs rather than having to be converted.

>At the 7. of July there is a meeting of SVO drivers/users in
>Germany. I will go there.
>
>Perhaps I know a bit more about the subject afterwards.

We'd appreciate a report-back, if you have the time.

Best wishes

Keith

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!