MikeF wrote:

>What are "natural resources" ? The advance of technology keeps changing
>the definition of "natural resources"

More widening it than changing it I think.

>so maybe the meaning of "resource
>depletion" needs re-examination from a multidimensional vantage point.

Just take it as meaning the general balance of things that the
biosphere needs to continue without catastrophic collapse, and, a bit
short of that, the resources that four out of five people on the
planet require for their sustainable living, regardless of
technology. "Sustainable" meaning it'll still be there for their
grandchildren's grandchildren. "Regardless of technology" because
that's still the condition of half the people on the planet (who cook
over woodfires, for instance) - though other people's technology has
been inclined to whittle away their resource base, so it's not quite
"regardless".

>We are entering the age of molecular manipulation and its just possible,
>that in the future, we'll be able to turn any form of "matter" into any
>"resource" we want. The future offers no guarantees so its wise to
>conserve energy and other resources whenever possible, but its also
>possible future generations will be "resource" richer than our wildest
>dreams. Check this out :         http://www.foresight.org/EOC/index.html

Yes, Drexler. That is "just possible". Unfortunately, what will
probably carry more weight than its potential is that its development
is in the hands of the same wisdomless dumbos who've given us so much
else to be less than thankful for.

Check this out - "The ETC Century", on the technological challenges of
the 21st Century, covers GE, nanotech and more - pdf here:
http://etcgroup.org/article.asp?newsid=159

Have a look at this too, on "old thinking about new technologies":
http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previous4.html#1511
Technology, Poverty and the Future of the Developing World

People who make such objections as  these are often branded Luddites.
I'm a lot less impressed by technology's raw potential than by how it
will be implemented, by whom, on whose behalf, and it whose expense.
Which indeed is more or less what the original Luddites were on about
- not anti-technology but anti-exploitation. Social justice is more
important than context-free ideas of technological progress, and
today that often equals ecological justice.

>The future offers no guarantees so its wise to
>conserve energy and other resources whenever possible

Not just wise, it's essential. "Whenever possible" too often means
whenever it doesn't conflict with our rapacious lifestyles and insane
economic system. We'll have to do a bit better than that.

Keith

>MikeF.                                                      ~~~~

snip

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3PCXaC/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/9bTolB/TM