You can get visual studio by itself (without MSDN) for about $500. But it
sure is nice having access to all of that other stuff on MSDN.

I will check out the Flex2 stuff and see what I think about it, though.
However, it is going to take some getting over the bad taste of Flash.
<amy people have done really neat things with it, but I have never been
able to get past the utterly irritating graphics editor/timeline
interfaces Macromedia saddled it with to spend anywhere near as much time
on Flash as I have with SVG. I liked the way SVG was programmable and
interactive with the HTML container Javascript. I don't want to have my
code locked up inside Flash where it it is so much harder to deal with
page elements.

Geoff Swenson