yes, SVG fonts would be useful for the more exotic fonts. Fontforge is
a free unix/macosx tool to convert various font-formats, including SVG
fonts.

Opera, Batik and Webkit support external SVG fonts defined in an
external file. The Adobe SVG viewer 3 only supports internal SVG
fonts, Firefox doesn't support SVG fonts at all, currently.

Andreas