dd>However, what I did think of was the following: how about I
dd> stick a copy of the first half of the path (with its animated
dd> stroke-dash) inside a clipPath and then apply the  clipPath to the
dd> original path. Then shouldn't the growth of the clipping region
unveil
dd> the path as well as its fill, concurrently?

And Erik wrote:

ed>A mask should be able to do the trick. Inside the mask just draw the
path with white ed>fill and/or stroke.

Yes, of course! I changed the clipPath to a mask and it works as I had
hoped:
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/unveilPath.svg . Thanks again
to Erik!

And Julien wrote:

jr> I just noticed that the example were not working in SVG 1.2 players.
The
jr> main reason I couldn't find any way to compute the length of the
path in
jr> 1.2 ...

I'm not sure what SVG1.2 players are, but the above works in Opera 9.6
and in IE/ASV3.03. Andreas' bus example does too. FF, Safari and Chrome
don't yet support SMIL (though all are nearing that point, as I
understand it), so that would be why they are stuck.

FF, Safari and Chrome all support getTotalLength() and
getPointAtLength() though
as can be seen at http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/curve.svg .
(click a few more times and the path itself starts to wiggle)

Two addenda of possible interest on this topic: 1. I was surprised
(seeing the examples Andreas provided) to see the animation of
stroke-dashoffset actually working in IE/ASV. A couple of years ago, I
observed that
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/newstuff/wiggleline.svg
which animates stroke-dasharray only worked in Opera and not in IE. That
caused me rather to abandon what I thought was a rather fun approach to
things. So I reworked those examples using stroke-dashoffset instead:
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/newstuff/wiggleline2.svg
and
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/newstuff/circles3.svg

so they now work both in IE/ASV and Opera (increasing my sense of
confidence that they ought to work in the others when they catch up).
Animation of stroke-dasharray is a little richer (enabling
caterpillar-like stuff), but stroke-dashoffset accomplishes much of the
same stuff.

Erik once remarked that animated stroke-dasharrays should probably be
turned on by default on all our svg objects, though I rather suspect he
was joking ;)

2. Current progress on my recent tree drawing initiative can be seen at
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/followpath10.svg (I took a
step backwards on the elegance of the paths, but now may reintroduce the
more elegant strokes of
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/followpath.svg, since the
animated mask can be used to unveil more complex objects.

David