Hi, James-

On 6/5/13 7:52 PM, jamesd wrote:
> --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Doug Schepers wrote:
>
> "As regular users of SVG, I'd like to know if there are any
> considerations we should take into account, if you feel this would
> meet your needs for use in SVG, or if you have any concerns."
>
> In my opinion there is no need for this. Since it is quite easy to
> allow other file formats that are not open source to be introduced
> into the specs (WOFF fonts) why not just introduce the CSS Div and p
> (paragraph element) into the spec?
>
> This way all text handling could be easily handled and the need for
> HTML would be negated.

You can already use <div> and <p> in SVG, inside the ungainly
<foreignObject> element; it would be nice if this were easier (maybe an
so far we haven't found consensus with the implementers.

Adding <div> and <p> as elements directly in SVG would actually cause a
conflict in the markup parser (i.e., it would kick the parser out of
"SVG mode" and back into "HTML mode").

(Whether or not something is open source isn't really relevant from a
technical perspective... but fwiw, WOFF and OpenType are open formats,
even if they are binary and even if the contents may be under copyright.)

> See:
>
> https://googledrive.com/host/0B_A5rZ_7DsD2WGVSc1hpRnVCdk0/jcdsvg_1.html
>
>  I know you are prone to complicated solutions to problems that don't
> exist (Parameters), but I prefer simplicity.

Perhaps you don't see a use for Params, but many people have asked me to
move it forward because it's just what they need, and it is not
particularly complicated to understand or use.

I also favor simplicity. Reasonable people can disagree about what
constitutes "simple".

The solution you propose on your site may seems simple on the surface,
and does have a certain elegance, but it's more complex than it appears,
to specify and to implement. Still, I'd like to get to that point.

But for for labels and short runs of text (a very common use case), this
doesn't seem particularly complex to me:

<svg ...>
  text {
    width: 300px;
    height: 500px;
  }

  <text x="10" y="25">Some text to be wrapped goes here.</text>
</svg>

For more complex case, like lists, tables, multiple paragraphs, etc.,
you will need to use inline HTML; again, hopefully we can make that
simpler in the future.

Regards-
-Doug