From: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:svg-developers@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of David Dailey
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2013 7:56 AM
To: 'Doug Schepers'; svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [svg-developers] Wrapping Text in SVG 2

Hi Doug,

You've made a lot of good points here about CSS being more popular than SVG:
more people care; more people can edit the spec; the range of applicability (to
HTML as well as SVG and other domains) is greater. And I appreciate the effort
to expand the dialogue to svg-developers, since www-svg tends to be less about
the philosophy of where SVG ought to go and more about how to get to wherever
it is already known to be going.

It sounds like we share the frustration about the sluggishness of progress with
SVG text. As you know I've been teaching lots of folks to learn SVG, through
both the W3C, in accredited educational channels and other venues, in most of
the world's continents. Frustration about text handling in SVG is something, as
an educator, I hear from a lot of folks. It's a shame that there is not an
easier forum to let those frustrations boil up to the point that implementers
might actually hear it!

You mention frustrations with other like SMIL, and the list can be extended to
include other topics as well, but text is the issue I'm fussing about here, so
let me just respond to a couple of your questions.

DS: What do you mean by "much more"? Wrapping text to arbitrary shapes? That is
also coming, but as part of a more complex proposal that will also hopefully be
part of SVG 2 (but may be deferred a bit, since we are trying to be have an
aggressive schedule to move SVG 2 forward). <br> Simple CSS text wrapping is
meant for the most common case, a basic rectangular area.

Well, it is good to be able to confine and flow text into rectangles and into
arbitrary shapes. Maybe I am not understanding the proposal. Confining text to
a rectangle is something that is pretty easy to do with about 3 lines of
JavaScript; even beginning students can do that in exercises.

I suppose it wouldn't matter too much if browsers implemented SVG in HTML or
HTML in SVG consistently, but consistency in <foreignObject> <iframe> <object>
<embed> <frame> all seem to be areas that implementations have decided to
ignore. There are lots of examples of inconsistency reported over the years
here and at www-svg. Maybe they've all been fixed, but I rather doubt it, since
my personal experience as a seasoned developer is that browsers are diverging
rather than converging in consistency in their implementations, for the
complicated stuff. Happily, the simple stuff is reaching consolidation!

Text handling should include
a) methods to select text through dragging, double clicking etc.
b) ability to click between characters and allow insertion of new text at the
position of the cursor
c) the ability to copy and paste from and into text areas
d) the ability to delete through delete and backspace (defined relative to
current selection be it a null character or multiple characters)
e) scrollbars that appear when the text overflows the available rectangle
f) methods for querying the scrolling position and currently selected text
g) ability to build autolinks to continuation shapes (as in Aldus Pagemaker
where a text could be continued in other shapes appearing elsewhere in a
document or page)
h) the ability to measure glyphs -- currently browsers do not agree on what is
the bounding box associated with a glyph. It looks like only Adobe ASV plugin
does it right.
i) text alignment features from SVG1.1 -- most browsers decided not to
implement this. Does that mean the browsers are right and the spec is wrong?
When browsers decide to deviate from the spec is this really a signal that the
spec should be weakened? I'm thinking of kerning, text-decoration, individual
vertical and horizontal spacing and sizing of substrings, top alignment,
directionality of text flow, etc. SVG 1.1 has a microzillion things there, many
of which just don't work, at least as of my most recent tests.
j) allowing text to be aligned to both a bottom and a top curve.
k) allowing individual glyphs to be warped according to shapes

A lot of this has been on the table for more than a decade and what is new,
since the proposals of 2009-2012 is important so that authors won't keep
warping text using Photoshop, Inkscape, Gimp and Illustrator and then saving or
exporting as bitmaps to produce the sorts of artsy textual effects that are, in
fact, commonplace on the web, in defiance of accessibility both textual and
graphical. This practice by authors is commonplace and it damages
accessibility.

I remember reading something in the W3C's planning docs that treatment of text
is one of the most commonly encountered complaints about SVG. It certainly is
among the practitioners whose paths have crossed my own.

The paper that Dr. Whitfield and I presented at SVG Open2011
http://cs.sru.edu/~ddailey/svg/GeometricAccessibility.html makes a lot of these
concerns more graphically. I also remember submitting a lot of these ideas some
time ago, in one of the SVG WG's call for public input. Hopefully, this answers
at least a part of the question of what I mean by "much more."

Regards
David