Found part of my answer.

 //syntax check the specification
//SwaggerDeserializationResult res = new
SwaggerParser().readWithInfo(out.toString());  // supports swagger 2
SwaggerParseResult res = new OpenAPIV3Parser().readContents(out.toString(),
null, null);  //supports openapi3 and requires swagger-parser 2.0
//System.out.println(res.getMessages().toString());
System.out.println(res.getMessages().size() + " Errors");
    for (String msg : res.getMessages()) {
    System.out.println(msg);
}