Hi, Lee

To answer some of your questions (you have a lot!).

 - We have differing opinions in the group, but I would personally pay the same for a
game with working disks as with non-working disks.  The physical condition of the
components is most important to me (since I expect the media to die within the next 10
years if it hasn’t already).  However, if the disks are just missing, it is worth far
less (since that is a component).

- I too would like to know who everyone on this list is.

- I collect:

A -- The bulk of the “gems” in my collection are RPG, Adventure and Strategy Games.
It seems many of the true classics fall into these categories since they are some of
the oldest, most established genres.  They all tend to have the most elaborate boxes
and contents.

B -- Publishers I specifically collect are:  EA, SSI, Avalon Hill, Epyx, Origin,
Infocom and others to a lesser degree (Adventure International, Broderbund,
Firebird/Rainbird, etc.)

C -- Kind of goes with Publishers, but sometimes crosses publisher lines:  Ultima,
Wizardry, Might and Magic, etc. etc.

D -- I want to own every game that has won or been nominated for a GOTCHA award on my
site.  These are the best of the best.  I’m mostly there.

E -- I can't help but pick up miscellaneous game-related crap along the way.  Hint
books, novels, art, music, advertising, magazines, reference books, etc.

[EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to include my other question in my last post.  Most
(but not all) classic video game collectors are trying to get as
complete a collection as possible for each console they own.  Whether
that includes cartridge label, box, and manual variations depends on
the collector.

I assume you guys have more defined goals that "get it all."  Do you
collect based on:

a) Type of game (adventure, driving/racing, interactive fiction, etc.)
b) Publisher (Activision, EA, Infocom, etc.)
c) Series (Ultima, Wizardry, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.)
d) Games you've enjoyed/heard good things about
e) Other

I believe I once read in an article that Hugh wrote that he and/or
others collect the "album-type" EA packages.  Maybe I should have just
submitted this as a poll question at MobyGames.

Since I don't truly consider myself a collector, I probably fall
mainly into category D.  I'm mainly interested in games I've heard
good things about and think I'll enjoy.  I do pick up complete Infocom
interactive fiction games for the PC when I find them because I
enjoyed a few from my Apple II days, they have neat extra items
(Microscopic Space Fleet!), and most of them run fine on the latest
machines since timing isn't usually an issue.  I don't usually pick up
non-PC versions, although I might grab an Apple II one if I saw it.

And since I mentioned it, do you collect box variations?  How many
people are on this list, anyway?

--
Lee K. Seitz  *  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *  http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/
Wanted:                     |   Visit the Classic Video Games Nexus