On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Pedro Quaresma wrote:
[snip]
> >They didn't.  They're rational people.  :-)  In fact, one of them asked
me
> >for a copy of Megatraveller based on your writing.
>
> Megatraveller? Why? I only mentioned how interesting it is on the
character
> creation department... it is indeed a good game, IMO, anyway. It is
> probably one of the best sci-fi RPGs ever (not that there are much of
> those!). Everyone else seems to dislike it though, but I think it's one
of
> those games you always come back to (like Darklands, Daggerfall, etc)

>Well -- in the opinion of both Computer Gaming World and Scorpia
>(significant overlap there, but they're not quite the same thing,
>especially after 1992), Megatraveller I is the absolute worst CRPG *ever*.

I have Scorpia's "guide" to RPGs, on a 1993 CGW, and I read worse reviews
there...

>It also came close to being the worst computer game ever (all genres, all
>time periods, all systems), period, in the opinion of CGW.

Sure. And I assume CGW thinks Baldur's Gate 2 is the best game ever, right?
Or Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2? Phantasmagoria? King's Quest 8?
Daikatana? 0;)

>I trust the pre-1993 Scorpia enough to take her word into account in a big
>way, too.  (If the review she wrote is remotely accurate, it does look
>really, really, bad.)

I don't trust even the pre-1993 Scorpia. Someone that says that Darklands
is a poor RPG... well...  shouldn't be taken seriously.

For those who haven't actually played Darklands, it's highly acclaimed as
one of the best RPGs ever, if not the best, and fans nowadays still mail
Microprose asking for a sequel (personally, it's my favorite non-Ultima
RPG).

Darklands is just one of the few good games that received a
Scorpia-bashing. The brilliant Betrayal in Krondor and Serpent Isle spring
to mind also

>About the only aspect of the game that got praised was the character
>generation system.

Which was, I believe, even improved on Megatraveller 2 (which is a better
game than the first, btw, with the exception of the time limit to complete
the game)

Pedro R. Quaresma
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"All your base are belong to us"